Moonshadow is a classic psytrance mix originally composed for the Global Goa Party, a virtual event conceived to “create the soundtrack for a full night (and morning) of old-school Goa trance by ten DJs from all over the world.” The rules were simple: record a mix with music that would have been heard on the dance floor in 1999. I snapped up the 12:30 to 2:00am time slot and spent weeks scouring my collection for the right stuff to hasten the journey into darkness and lunacy. Naturally, this exercise aroused great nostalgia for my own initiation into psytrance culture sometime in 1997 or 1998. Since many of my earliest memories of partying in Toronto were formed at events thrown by the Moonshadow collective I decided to dedicate this mix to DJ Dam, Cyber G, Yohimbe, John Dee, and everyone else who was there in the beginning.
- 01 Tim Schuldt - Absurd Aurinko Records, 1998
- 02 Cydonia - Cactus Blue Room Released, 1999
- 03 Semsis - Heroes & Madmen Atomic Records, 1999
- 04 X-Dream - Psychomachine Blue Room Released, 1998
- 05 Tarsis - Atomic Children (Remix) Spirit Zone Recordings, 1998
- 06 Spiral Active Project & DJ Goblin - Grounded Krembo Records, 1999
- 07 Mino - 2000 Compatible Phantasm Records, 1999
- 08 Astronomikx - After Life Flying Rhino Records, 1999
- 09 Haldolium - π-Symptom Free Form Records, 1999
- 10 Etnica - Mind Altering Drugs Spirit Zone Recordings, 1999
- 11 XV Kilist - Gummi Spiral Trax, 1999
- 12 Growling Mad Scientists - Tentacles of a Jellyfish TIP Records, 1998
- 13 Hux Flux - Idiot Transient Records, 1999
- 14 Koxbox - Life is a Gas (X-Dream Remix) Blue Room Released, 1997
- 15 Children of the Doc - Impossible Vortex HOM-Mega Productions, 1999
- 16 Deedrah - Signé Furax Question Mark ?ecords, 1997
- 17 Infected Mushroom - Return of the Shadows YoYo Records, 1999
- 18 The Delta - Travelling at the Speed of Thought Blue Room Released, 1998
- 19 Growling Mad Scientists - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? TIP Records, 1997
- 20 Sandman - End of the World HOM-Mega Productions, 1998
- Photo credit: full moon by Thom Rains.
- Recorded with Traktor and a Korg Nanokontrol at Ilum Studios, Gibsons, B.C.
- This was my first studio recording after switching to an all-digital DJing setup in 2009. I was still getting the hang of Traktor and figuring out what worked and what didn’t.
- I spent about four straight days arranging and practising with the material until finally getting down to business.
- 25,000 downloads and 3,500 listens as of April 2021.