This set was recorded live at Darkrave vs Panic, a special one-off event held on the 2009 May long weekend in Toronto, Canada. My mission was to showcase the hard and nasty side of psychedelic trance often referred to as “darkpsy”, a style that is not often heard on Toronto dance floors. I try to ease it up near the end with a few crowd-pleasing tunes with big build-ups and a splash of melody but much of this set might be too intense for some listeners; consider yourself warned!
- Gappeq – Speaker Seeker [Wirikuta Recordings]
- Datakult feat. DJ Ehm – Valis [Pleiadian Records]
- Furious – Sadizmo [Technical Freaks Records]
- Polyphonia – Caballero Negro [Tremors Underground Productions]
- Mukti – Eastern Wind [Ektoplazm]
- Dragon – Ritual Fire [T.O.U.C.H. Samadhi]
- Penta – Robot Poetry [AuraQuake Records]
- Sulima vs Hysteria – Data Processing Tower [Blitz Studios]
- Baphomet Engine feat. DJ Zoim – Psycho Motor [Kabrathor Records]
- Mubali – Artificial Freaks [Trishula Records]
- CPC – Lizard Metanoya [No Comment Records]
- Phatmatix – Hominus Nocturna [Yabai Records]
- Exaile – Tied Up (Azax Syndrom Remix) [GBM Records]
- Rinkadink – Techmology V3 (Menog Remix) [Nutek Records]
- Electric Universe – Holografic [Electric Universe Records]
- Delirious Noon – Quasar [Vertigo Records]
- Tagline: a challenging blend of hard and nasty darkpsy with a splash of melodic full-on near the end.
- By international standards this material is nothing too crazy. For whatever reason Toronto was always more attuned to progressive and upbeat full-on frequencies than darkpsy and forest music. I made several attempts to introduce the style to dance floors in the late 2000s but it often resulted in disinterest and sometimes even hostility. This particular set went off well because the audience was a more eclectic blend of hardcore ravers and industrial fans.
- Cover photo: a room full of discarded mannequins in the basement of Honest Ed’s, Toronto, shot sometime in 2009.
- Downloaded 19,000 times as of March 2019.